HOME     PROJECTS     STORIES     PHOTO WIZARD     ABOUT     WEBSITE

Monday, June 14, 2010

Letter Blocks for Dad

I can't believe that our Dad's Day gift is ready! Our family tradition for this holiday usually consists of two gifts. One is a family activity. The other gift comes from the heart {and on some occasions, the store!} Usually, we're giving Dad his tribute with wet paint or partially put together because we didn't quite get our act together. This year's hand-made gift turned out quite nice...AND, I might add, doesn't require him to wear it to church to show his kids how proud he is of it!

Project calls for 3 blocks. We used 3.25" blocks, but you can use whatever size you happen to get your hands on. You can create the D-A-D letters using a text editor. Just make sure the letters will fit your block. Print the letters to scrapbook paper. You can use the extra scraps for the covering the top and bottom of the project. Now you just need some pictures.

The hardest part is deciding which pictures to feature!

The kids did a version using memories that they have of their father. I did a second version using pictures of his dad and granddads. Both are equally meaningful tributes to the amazing man we call Dad.

{I happen to be a little sepia crazy, so many of my projects use pictures converted to black/white and brown tones. This project looks equally good with colored pictures!}

You can get your pictures ready using Photoshop or any other photo editor. Our Photo Wizard will get your pictures to the perfect size for our blocks. We just shipped this project (and several other fun block projects) to several local Deseret Book stores in our area.

Instructions for gluing your pictures to the blocks can be found here.

An easy gift with nine reasons why we call him Dad!

19 comments:

★All Thingz Related★ said...

I love these!
{Rebekah}

samnarene said...

You have another great project that will be a family treasure!

Ashley Tremaine said...

I absolutely adore these...great job!!

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

Oh My Gravy! I really love these! So neat I know any Dad would love them! (well with his photos)ha ha

Krista @ Craving Some Creativity said...

Very cute project:) Nice work...

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

These are adorable. What a fantastic gift! Fabulous job. Visiting from SDC. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~Stephanie Lynn

Mom2three said...

What a FANTASTIC idea! This sets my mind to whirling, thinking and planning. Rats! Now I have a project to do before Sunday, but I'm sure my husband will love it. Great post and directions! Thanks!

Staci J said...

Those are soooo cute!!! Thanks for the great idea...
justsewsassy.com

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

This project made me heart go pitter pat. Well done.

Kim said...

These are fabulous and could easily be adapted for other holidays, people. Well done - I love sepia, too!

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

lovely

do link it up
http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party/

great idea to share with many more!

Beckie said...

These are SO great! I am featuring this today on my blog so come on over and grab a featured button! And thanks for linking up to Letting Your Creative Juices Flow! Have a wonderful Thursday!!

Mom2three said...

I love this idea! I put a link to this posting on my blog today. Thanks for the awesome idea!

Lanie Ree said...

This is really great. I love the photos you chose, and the distressing you did. Talk about a perfect Fathers Day present!

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session at Life in the Pitts

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Thanks for sharing. I love this ideas and recently linked it to my blog:
http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/2010/06/more-fathers-day-diy-gift-ideas.html

Haley said...

What stopped me was the photo of Andrew Lars Hyer...we must be related :)

Kim Chase said...

Cute idea I posted a link to it from my blog http://lifesjourneytoperfection.blogspot.com/2013/06/fabulous-find-friday-last-minute.html

Thanks!!

IfNotForNoah said...

I know this is from years ago, but I love this idea and my husband is a new dad. The link to learn how to glue these no longer works, can you tell me how? Thanks!

melissa allred said...

What fonts did you use for your Father's Day blocks?